In May 2014, the West Seattle Transportation Coalition will hold it’s first ever Board elections, as detailed here in our by-laws. The rules and voting will work like this.
What is the WSTC Board?
- The board is made up of eleven seats, numbered 1 through 11. This reflects the initial number of interim volunteer board members that stepped up in our inaugural meeting.
- The Board members make all high level decisions for the WSTC as needed on behalf of it’s memberships and endorsers, subject to our by-laws and customs.
- All Board members must actively serve as members of a WSTC Committee.
- Terms are typically two years.
- The Board elects it’s own officers of Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary, and Treasurer. Officer terms are one year.
- The Board is typically present at each General Meeting, and there is usually a “working” meeting of the Board once per month for 90 minutes.
Who can run for the WSTC Board?
Anyone who lives or works in our boundaries. The area is West Seattle, South Park, Harbor Island, White Center, North Highline — anything west of the Duwamish River south to Burien. Also, anyone who is a member of groups, organizations, companies or institutions in those areas, may announce that they want to run for a Board Seat. If your status changes and you no longer qualify after being elected, you will step down from the Board.
How do I run for the WSTC Board?
- You need to come to our February 11 or March 11, 2014 meeting and declare what Board position you wish to run for.
- By a deadline of March 15, 2014, you must provide to the WSTC a photo and a statement of up to 500 words for our website.
- By April 1, 2014, the WSTC will publish online all candidates, their positions, photos and statements.
What WSTC Board positions are open in 2014?
- As this is our first-ever election, ALL nine positions are open.
- Following 2014 we will run even numbered positions on even numbered years and odd numbered positions on odd numbered years.
- Anyone running for odd positions (#1, #3, #5, #7, #9, #11) in 2014 will serve one year until 2015.
- Anyone running for even positions (#2, #4, #6, #8, #10) in 2014 will serve two years until 2016.
When are the 2014 WSTC Board elections?
- The elections will be held in our May 13th, 2014 meeting.
- Voting is by secret ballot. At least two people who are not running for office will count votes.
- Voting is decided by simple majority.
Who can vote in the 2014 WSTC Board elections?
- To vote, you must be a Member, with the same geographic requirements that Board members have.
- To vote, you must also have signed into at least one meeting or event of the WSTC in the preceding calendar year.
For the 2014 WSTC Board elections, this means you must have signed into one of the following events or meetings:
- September 10th, 2013 inaugural meeting.
- October 15th, 2013 meeting.
- November 12th, 2013 meeting.
- December 10th, 2013 meeting.
- January 14th, 2014 Q&A Panel.
- February 11th, 2014 meeting.
- March 11th, 2014 meeting.
- April 8th, 2014 meeting.
When are the Officer elections?
The Board, in the current rules, will elect their own Officers for one year terms, again by simple majority secret balloting.
When will the new WSTC Board take office?
The new Board and it’s Officer take office with our June 10th, 2014 meeting, replacing the outgoing original Interim Board.