Our first meeting was held tonight. There is a lot of news to share, but some initial news. This post will be updated Wednesday evening with any news media stories covering it.
There was overwhelming support and an apparent unanimous decision to create the West Seattle Transit Coalition with a mandate to improve West Seattle transit conditions for all stakeholders. This group will report to and pursue the various neighborhood groups and chambers as signatories and stakeholders.
There were 11 initial board member volunteers, with no objections. This will be an interim board, with elections later, with input from the various West Seattle groups. The interim board is:
- Cindi Barker
- Deb Barker
- Kevin Broveleit
- Barbara Dobkin
- Amanda Kay Helmick
- Mat McBride
- Tod Rodman
- Carolyn Stauffer
- Joe Szilagyi
- Michael Taylor-Judd
- Diane Rose Vincent
The interim board’s tasks will be:
- To guide the group toward a permanent board, targeted for 6~ months.
- To hold monthly meetings.
- To gain support through outreach to the peninsula-wide groups for endorsements/signatories to the WSTC.
- To draft a letter/list of immediate problem definitions for all relevant elected officials/stakeholders (on the next meeting, as some of these are extremely time sensitive).
- To begin structuring a list of plans for the peninsula related to transit, which would be then be implemented with the city, county, and state, in four tiers, and then maintained over time:
- Immediate Plan: critical issues, deliverables needed in <1 year.
- Short Term Plan: deliverables needed in <5 years.
- Medium Term Plan: deliverables needed <10 years.
- Long Term Plan: deliverables needed in <20 years.
Our next/first board meeting will be Tuesday, October 8th.
Many people asked for a copy of the Powerpoint slides from last night. The slide deck can be obtained at this link: